Saturday 30 March 2013

Easy Acoustic Guitar Cake

Hello! :)

So, for my first cake blog, I thought it fit to go through the first proper cake I made that was a guitar cake.

This cake was for my boyfriend, Alex, last year for his 21st (find his blog at http://alexmealinmedia.wordpress.com/ or http://alexmealinphotography.com/, he is an amazing photographer!) and it went down a treat!



I had no idea how to make this, other than looking at pictures online and managed to create this so it’s so simple but really effective. It’s what we all want as bakers isn’t it!

Whilst there are a fair few components to this cake, after reading through the recipe and instructions below, each step is fairly simple to complete!

I hired a guitar shape Wilton tin pan from a local store, which I’m sure you can get at loads of good bakery stores It didn’t come with any instructions on quantities, and the person in the shop didn’t know, so I had to guess and thankfully guessed right! Below is a picture of the tin and the picture that comes with it.


I used double quantities of a standard cake mix and made it into a chocolate and vanilla marble cake.



The icing is buttercream and for the light brown on the top of the guitar, I merely added a little bit of cocoa powder and it worked a treat! The details such as the next of the guitar were made of out shop bought fondant.

Cake Recipe: (remember that cake pans may vary and this is to be used as a guide)

Ingredients:
450g butter , softened
450g caster sugar
8 eggs

450g self-raising flour
6 tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla extract

4 tbsp cocoa powder

Method:
Heat oven to 180C
Put all ingredients (except cocoa) into a mixing bowl and mix until smooth and all the ingredients are evenly spread out.
Divide the mixture into two bowls and add the cocoa into one of the bowls. Mix this thoroughly until it is a consistent colour.
Add in blobs of each mixture into the guitar shape pan so it is all mixed up.
I am unsure of the timings in the oven but I would say about 40 minutes but with CONSTANT checking.

Buttercream icing:

Ingredients
280g butter, softened
460 icing sugar
2-4 tbsp milk
cocoa powder

Recipe:
Cream the butter until pale and smooth
Add in the icing sugar and milk
In one bowl, put in around 2/3 of the buttercream and add small amounts of cocoa until a light brown wood colour is achieved
Into the remaining buttercream, add cocoa powder until dark brown

Once the cake was cooled, I added a crumb coating of the light brown buttercream around the whole cake. The cake was left for half an hour for the icing to start setting on the surface.


Cover the entire top of the cake in a layer of the light brown buttercream until all covered.

Then add the darker brown icing around the sides of the guitar, including the neck of the guitar.

Details

Roll black fondant until thin and cut out a circle for the sound hole in the middle of the guitar, a scratch plate and the bridge. Also cut out a strip of the fondant to run up the neck of the guitar. Finally cut out 6 small circles to the be string tuners at the top of the guitar. (Google pictures of each component if unsure, I had to to make sure I was accurate!)

Once cut out, attach these to the guitar, as can be seen in the photos.




Strings
For the strings, a basic Glace Icing mixture was used. In all honesty I cannot remember how much I used but as no colouring is needed, it is easy to mix up some more!

Once the fondant is positioned on the cake. using a piping bag and a small nozzle draw 6 even straight lines up the cake with the glace icing. Each line should end at one of the guitar tuners.

Feel free to add any finer details or writing to the cake or cake board and hey presto! You're done!!



I hope this works for you and message me if I am unclear on anything.

I’ll post a link to the Wilton page if you are interested in using the same pan.
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Acoustic-Guitar-Cake

Thanks for reading,

Niamh x

Follow me on Pinterest! http://pinterest.com/niamhdoherty/

No comments:

Post a Comment